[title size=”2″]About The Project[/title]
Hotel Sarasota is a 186 room boutique-styled, arts themed hotel to be built in the center of the cultural district in downtown Sarasota, Florida. The project is the evolution of an inspired vision for an authentic hospitality lifestyle experience representative of the city and all it has to offer.
Floridays Development Company and its principal Angus Rogers were selected by the city of Sarasota in a competitive bid process to develop the innovative hotel on city land at the corner of Cocoanut Avenue and Palm Avenue in the center of the cultural district. The group contracted to purchase additional land to complete an entire city block for the project. Integral to its arrangement with the city, the project has a formal agreement to utilize over 300 spaces in the adjacent 760 space city parking garage and connect the garage to the hotel with a pedestrian bridge on the second level. The final component to the deal with the city is an agreement to redevelop Cocoanut Avenue in order to present an appropriate sense of arrival and at the same time enhance walkability within the downtown arts district.
Sarasota is located on Florida’s Gulf coast about an hour south of Tampa and is renowned as the cultural capital of the state whose quality and depth rivals some of the largest urban centers in the country. In a recent study, it was shown that only Manhattan, NY spent more than Sarasota in the nation on the arts! Sarasota is home to multiple art related venues including:
- The Asolo Repertory Theater – Florida’s premier professional theater and one of the most important cultural forces in the Southeastern United States
- The Ringling Museum – state art museum of Florida
- The Sarasota Opera – 1,200 seats, year-round facility, internationally respected producer of the highest quality professional opera.
- The Van Wezel Performing Arts Center – national & regional acts, seats over 1,700
- The Sarasota Orchestra – 80+ member, internationally renowned over 100 concerts/year
- The Sarasota Ballet – only company on west coast of Florida
- Florida Studio Theater – a beacon of the area cultural scene, FST operates 4 theaters
- Ringling College – the #1 animation school and top 20 film school in the US
- Numerous art galleries & art festivals
- The Sarasota Film Festival, Chalk Festival, International Winefest
- The list goes on and on
Besides its affinity to the arts, Sarasota is home to some of the finest beaches in the country including Lido Beach, Siesta Key Beach (#1 USA, #15 world) and Longboat Key – all just minutes from downtown.
Throughout the entire development process, the project has garnered virtually unanimous, unwavering support from local government, city & civic leaders and business groups alike.
The development of the site consists of a boutique style hotel along the two primary streets. The main characteristics include:
- An authentic and unique lifestyle hotel targeted to the growing “Sarasota cultural tourism” niche of the market;
- Over 10,000 square feet of technically advanced meeting space including a 500 seat ballroom, breakout rooms, a movie screening room and pre-function space that doubles as an art gallery;
- Entertainment and dining experiences on Palm Avenue, Cocoanut Avenue and on the rooftop;
- 186 ultimately comfortable guest suites in a variety of configurations in addition to traditional king and double queen, there are executive, hospitality and presidential suites.
The arts-centric theme is executed without sacrificing the ability to position the hotel within the traditional tourist and business markets. The hotel will market itself consistent with Sarasota’s trademarked mission to “Go Beyond the Beaches” and will be forward looking in its approach to the next (millennial) generation of Sarasota visitors and residents.
The hotel is timeless, unique while hip and cool, intimate, design-oriented, warm, thematic, high tech, exclusive, experiential, inspiring and aspirational. Art provides Hotel Sarasota with is soul, its “raison d’etre”
To accomplish its goals for the project, Rogers has begun with the belief that Sarasota’s art community and its locals can and should drive commerce. While this idea may seem counterintuitive to some, the immediate critical acclaim and subsequent public embrace of similar projects have validated the concept.
Angus Rogers, and Floridays Development Co, have developed other hospitality projects including the Floridays Resort in Orlando, FL. The Floridays Orlando Resort is a 432 suite family resort located on International Drive in the center of the tourist area in close proximity to DisneyWorld, SeaWorld and Universal Studio (www.FloridaysResortOrlando.com) Delivered in 2006, Floridays Orlando has become a recognized leader, establishing itself as a household name, rated as one of the top hotels in the region. According to Smith Travel Research, Floridays Orlando outperforms its peers financially in terms of occupancy, rate and revPAR. Furthermore the hotel has been ranked as the #1 family resort in the USA in 2012, 2013 and 2014, currently #9 in the world!
These accolades are a testament to the guest experience fulfilled at the property. That being said, Rogers understands that a stunning hotel is only as good as the team that delivers the guest experience. To that end Rogers has teamed with a world class operator to manage the hotel
Whether it is for fine arts, performing arts, digital arts, culinary arts, blissful arts or simply to be in the most inviting surroundings with great people, Hotel Sarasota is your place to be.
We are Artful Hospitality